Menu

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thank you Veterans

On this Veterans Day, I wanted to give thanks to the Men and Women who have served our great country. I never did go into the service myself. But I do appreciate the sacrifices of those who have.

Unfortunately, I was a dumb, immature, rebellious kid who heard from his father from the time he was young “You ARE going into the service when you get out of school”. Never a why, or what it could do for me, but just “You ARE”. And so, as much as I loved my father, I DID NOT. He tried a different tact and encouraged me to go to Mass Maritime. I did like the ocean and thought that would be cool. Despite having good grades, passing all of their tests, MM said, “Your eyes are too bad. If you’re glasses fall off the ship, you will be helpless”. “BUT!- If you contact your congressman, maybe you can get him to pull some strings.” And I said “Screw that” If you don’t want me, I don’t want you”. Instead I went to college for years till I finally figured out what I wanted to do.

Anyway, I got off on a tangent I guess, but the point is that maybe I should have gone into the service, or maybe it is just as well. But for those who did, God Bless you and your families.

And God Bless the United States of America.


-Emery


No comments:

Post a Comment