Menu

Sunday, January 26, 2014

P52 Wk 51: Down on the Farm

Since I was a little guy visiting my Uncle Frank's farm in Nova Scotia, I've been intrigued with barns. Used to love going there. Seeing the cows,  climbing up the bales of hay in the barn, and exploring hidden rooms under trap-doors. Always wanted my own barn...A condo with an attached barn would be perfect...

Bolduc Farm
Anyway, I'm lucky enough to have a father-in-law (Ernie) with a farm. His family raises buffalo. "Why Buffalo?", I once asked. "Because it's as American as you can get!", he replied. Can't argue with that.
Don't have to tell me twice

On my recent visit to NH, I asked Ernie if he could take me over to the barn to explore.

Ernie

We get along great, and I think he enjoys my interest in his hobby. His hobby is collecting. Just about every wall in his barn has some old sign or tool or doo-dad or thing-a-ma-bob, or toy that belonged to his kids, that you could imagine. And everything has a story. And he'll share it with you.

We Can Do It!
Nothing of any real value except for personal nostalgic reasons. And that value is priceless. It makes my mother-in-law shake her head. But I get it. And I love the place.  It's his 'scrapbook' I'd guess. I can totally relate. As someone who has kept every creepy crawler or work of art or neck-tie, or do-dad that my kids have given me, I understand. Let me share some scenes from the barn.

Passageway to the Silo
Early K2's?

House-Keeper Wanted? Nah!

What Ceiling would be complete without a Citgo Sign?

Frost on the Panes

Who Moved my Cheese?

Manure-Mover
Someone Used to be an Athlete

Could have explored in there for hours if I had the time. And if it wasn't 0 degrees out. Dang, it was cold in the barn. Had to go into the farm-house - Parsonage to warm up by the old cast-iron stove.

Warming up by the Farmhouse Stove

Quiet as a Church Mouse


Snacks for the Buffalo
Raymond Burr

Herd Keeper-Inner

All-American Farm

Hope you enjoyed scenes from my day on the farm. You can check more barn shots on my site at EmerysIsland.com.

Til next time,

Em

3 comments:

  1. love love love one of my favorite places to explore how can anyone not love this place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Kind of forgot he had the farm. Might just have to get in touch with him and stop by in April. I'd love to shoot some photos there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should, Jeremy. They'd love to see you and give you a tour

    ReplyDelete