Menu

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2011-12-27: Much ado about nothing

I had my first family portrait shoot today. A nice woman was at the Gilford craft fair last month and asked me if I did portraits. I said "No", but I showed her the picture I took of Taylor and Jeremy at their wedding, and then said "But I'd be willing to give it a try". So I gave her my card and asked her to contact me if she was interested. Well a couple of weeks went by, and no call. I had forgotten all about it. Then a couple of weeks ago, she called me and asked if I would photograph her family sometime over Christmas. I said "Sure I would". We set up an appointment. I hung up the phone. And the panic began. I spent the next week reading up on portraits and lighting, and clothing, and how to set clients at ease. I also really had to study pricing. Figuring out my cost of doing business, and coming up with a fair price. There is a lot to take into account. Equipment, taxes, time (shooting, travelling, editing, learning), skill, etc. Anyway, I was worrying about the shoot all week. I think by Christmas eve, I was feeling comfortable, and confident in my abilities thanks to Sue's pep talks. So I got to enjoy Christmas. By Christmas night however, I started to panic and didn't sleep very well. I had my shoot yesterday morning at 9:30. Here is a shot of me before I went in taken with my iPhone:


But before I went in, I convinced myself that I knew my stuff and had nothing to worry about. I met the family. Delightful! They couldn't have been nicer to me. I set up my equipment, took test shots, and began taking shots of the family. They were all into in and couldn't have made my first shoot any easier. Here's a shot of me after:


But then on the way home, I worried "what if my shots didn't come out?" Well they came out great. I'm reviewing them now and I am pleased! I think the family will be also. I really have to learn to relax. But, to be fair to myself, it was the first time I'd actually done a family portrait. It will be even easier next time. And I know there will be a next time.
Ok, Christmas vacation is over. back to the grind tomorrow.
Have an awesome day.
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment