Menu

Monday, December 2, 2013

P52 Week 46: Looking for Old Stuff

One of the things I miss about back home, are the old farms and covered bridges of NH, and the old historical buildings of Boston. While I do love my new city, you really have to drive a couple of hours out of Charlotte to find anything old. If you know me, you know I love rust and rotting wood... as long as its not on my car, or my house. And that is tough to find around here. I was looking online for historical buildings in the area, and found a website.. Nice old buildings except they were all demolished in the 70's and 80's. Groan...Sometimes progress can be a pain.

Sue and I did however go to Charleston, SC over the Thanksgiving holiday to visit friends Paul and Gloria. We had a wonderful time, and I did get to see some of that old mystique and charm that Southern mansions can provide. We walked around the East Battery section, and Atlantic and Church St.

Nice Ocean-Side property

 I could have sat for hours and just studied the buildings. But, being conscious of my wife, and our hosts, I did the touristy-thing, and just took snapshots and kept moving, not wanting to hold anyone up for too long. Here are a few shots from the area..

The Pink House...

Nicely trimmed stairs

Argyle Walkway

Old-Timey

Argyle and Green Door

Freshly watered


Even the filthy-rich read the morning papers...

Squirrel-Proofed

Which way do I go?

Now that's more like it!!

St. Michael's Church
 
This was one of my favorites...And it's FOR SALE!
(For around 9 mil)


Welcome to my new home
 
Eh-Too much traffic for me...

Took a lot more pictures around the city, and since I'm a couple weeks behind on my posts, I'll catch up soon with some more Charleston scenery.

We had a great Thanksgiving and visit with our friends. Hope the holidays were good for you too.

Before I go, here is a quiz for you kids. Found this specimen at White Point Garden Park in Charleston.
Can you kids guess what this is?
And it worked!
Answer Below..



Answer to Todays Quiz:
If you guessed "Ketchup Dispenser", give yourself 10 points. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, you're one of the lucky ones.
If you guessed "p-Phone", give yourself 5 points.

Oh, and as a bonus, if you can direct me to some local (to Charlotte)  old buildings, I'll give you 25 extra points. I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks, Talk soon....

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment