Menu

Monday, January 20, 2014

P52 Week 50: Shots from Memory Lane

Three weeks into the new year, and just getting back to blogging. I've barely had time to log on and check emails lately, never mind write or take pictures. Work has been hectic, finishing up end of year programs, and getting ready for the new year. Also, we got a puppy,  (a 7 wk old Maltese/Shi-Tzu), so free time is at a premium. Not that I'm complaining, but I've had to re-prioritize things.

Daizy
I've got a bunch of shots that I took when we were back home in NH, so let's see what I can get out here before 'Daizy' needs to go for a walk or wants to gnaw on my fingers.
In addition to seeing the family, of course, I also wanted to get out and about and take some shots of familiar scenes.
First stop was out in the lovely frigid weather over to one of my favorite subjects. Tannery Hill Bridge in Gilford,
Tannery Hill Bridge

Tannery Hill Bridge
I have yet to see a covered bridge in NC, although I hear they have 5. As compared to the 70-something in NH. Hope to get out this year and find them.

Bolduc Sugar Shack

Next stop was to swing by my father-in-law's (Ernie Bolduc) sap-house. I've blogged about this place before, and I love going there. (And I love the fresh maple syrup!)

Another old favorite around the area is the Perley Oak in Laconia. I always enjoyed studying this tree. But after recently seeing the Angel Oak in Charleston, SC, the Perley sapling paled by comparison.
  
Perley Oak, 400 years young...

Staying around the Laconia area, I also stopped by one of the old Mills. Another subject I have yet to see in NC. Although, I've heard there are some out in Hickory, so that is on my horizon. (hon-pack up your knitting, we're going for a ride!)

Laconia Mill
While we are purusing thru some old area sights, I couldn't pass up the old soda fountain at Newberry's on Main St. It wasn't open, but still provided a photo op.

Old Soda Fountain
Just a couple more shots from my day out in the freezing tundra. This one is Bartlett Beach on Lake Winnisquam. Never swam here (and won't be swimming here today), but we used to have our boat on this lake. Miss that.

Bartlett Beach
Heading back to where we stayed in Franklin, I stopped by the familiar train depot in Tilton.  If you're ever over at Franklin Hospital fixing what ails you, you can see some of my other trains on their walls.

The Princess
Can't forget the trestle over the Winnipesaukee River in Franklin. I think it was 2 degrees this morning and I froze my A** off trudging through the snow and ice to reach this spot. All for you, faithful reader, all for you.


If you're from the area, hope you enjoyed these scenes from memory lane. 

Next post will be about my day at Bolduc Farm. Stay tuned!
And now, time to walk Daizy! Chat soon.

Em









1 comment:

  1. thanks for freezing your A$$ for our trip down memory lane xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete